Friday, January 23, 2009

Life is Precious and Sweet

I know my previous post was just last night and I rarely post again so quickly, but tonight I find myself drawn to remind you all that life is so precious and sweet.

I had a meeting this afternoon and when I got out of it, I received a voicemail letting me know that a friend was being taken in for an emergency c-section. My friend is only 25 weeks along and a very high risk pregnancy, so I was instantly in prayer and headed to the hospital in downtown Dallas. I knew that the doctors would not make a decision to deliver so early unless the situation was extreme.

I arrived after she was already in delivery, and only 10 or so minutes later, they were out to report. Praise the Lord, both baby and Mom made it OK. The precious new life welcomed into the world weighs in at just 1 pound, 5 ounces, and he is about 12 inches long. If you're having trouble connecting that size to anything tangible, try grabbing one of the 20 oz. bottles of soda like you'd get on your way through the checkout line at the grocery store - and you're just about there.


At the moment, the new mommy is doing all right, and the baby is in NICU. They've put the little tube in his umbilical cord to provide nutrition and have him on a respirator, but amazingly enough, he came out crying! Can you even imagine?

I am completely overwhelmed by God's arms of protection around this family, and pray His continuing watchcare over them. It will be a long road ahead for my friend, her husband, and their entire family - but for tonight I am thanking God for this precious gift of life. It so very easily could have taken any number of other turns this afternoon, and I am beyond grateful that God knew all along that January 23 and not May 3rd would be the birthdate for His beloved creation. What a powerful reminder of how precious and sweet life truly is.

~Thank you, God, for taking care of my sweet friend and her baby. Please hold them close to you tonight and in coming days. May we all be reminded in each moment how incredibly precious the life You give truly is.~

1 comment:

  1. Oh what a wonderful miracle of God, and thanks for sharing that - I too, had c-sections, one of which was an emergency, and the Lord was so gracious to me and my baby girl...
    Please keep us updated on how they are doing..

    Janelle

    ReplyDelete