Thursday, January 22, 2009

This Week's "Ouch!!"

"When you find peace within yourself, you become the kind of person who can live at peace with others." ~ Peace Pilgrim

This week has been somewhat of an "ouch" for me. God's speaking to me. Yet instead of a gentle whisper, this week has been all about the "elbow jab" approach. You know what I mean ... those times when you and a friend are seated alongside one another and out of nowhere, you feel that elbow jab into your side.

I much prefer the gentle whisper, but (sigh) I know myself, and sometimes I get so caught up in the doing or so independent that I know I need the shock value of that jab to catch my focus. There's been nothing major - just some shifting in attitudes as I've allowed the doldrums to set in a bit this past week. Also, a few jabs have been wonderful reminders of many blessings around me and the wonderful love of God. Life is good. Even when...

The quote above struck me tonight because one jab this week that I've had is that although I have honestly felt at peace, there has been some unrealized discord inside. How do I know? Well, most of you who know me know that I really, really do NOT like conflict. I will typically go out of my way to avoid it. But that doesn't mean that I don't feel it. Yet this week I have continually found myself feeling irritated or impatient with people who normally don't bring that out in me. Thankfully my conflict-avoidance kept any reactions and thus embarrassment on my part in check, because honestly there is really no explanation for my annoyance.

Then I read this quote and had an "a-ha" with a twist. I say that because I think that, in truth, the introductory clause SHOULD read "When you find peace within God..." because He's honestly the only true source of peace. Peace within myself comes and goes because I'm so very human - I can only place my trust and therefore only find peace in God.

So obviously my inexplicable impatience has a root in something out of kilter with my Precious Savior. Thank goodness He loves me still and nurtures me even when I feel a total grump. My prayer tonight is that I will fully trust in God and that wonderful peace I've allowed to slip through my fingers in the past week or so will wrap itself around me once again.

What about you? Has God been "elbow jabbing" you, trying to get your attention? Has He been gently whispering in those quiet moments? I am praying, too, that He will bring to you His total and unfathomable peace today.

Much love,
Sheryl

1 comment:

  1. Hi sweet girl! I am so thankful that you are sensitive to the whispers and the "jabs" from the Lord. Being joyful and content is a constant process of surrender and expectation. I have also found myself being a tad disgruntled this week over seemingly tiny things, so I needed your post :) Thanks for the inspiring words - you bless my life!

    And I am praying for your friend. I have a two year old nephew who started life the same way, and is now a perfect, healthy, beautiful little guy.

    ReplyDelete