Monday, November 24, 2008

Endings

"Beginnings are usually scary and endings are usually sad, but it's the middle that counts. You have to remember this when you find yourself at the beginning." (Sandra Bullock - not sure what movie)

Today, I am thankful for endings. Strange, I know, but I am. Grudgingly grateful, yet still grateful. I got up this morning in a real mood - and after about ten minutes of putting up with myself, I had to make a decision. I could either continue to feel sorry for myself over this particular situation that did not turn out as I would have wanted (nothing tragic or even life-altering, so do not worry), or I could look for the blessings in it and move on. Obviously human nature would have had me choosing the first because it's far easier to have a pity party, but in the end, reason won out, and now here I sit, looking for the blessings.

Forgive me for not sharing more detail but in reality, the details don't matter here (it's nothing you would guess nor predict, but enough to matter to me if no one else). Endings come in all kinds of shapes and sizes, and in all forms. They can be tied to people, places, careers, or any variety of thing. Some endings are life-altering, and some are just ripples along the path. Some endings come with a loss and others come with sighs of relief. Sometimes endings can even be questionable - can something have an ending if it never had a real beginning?

I think where I am headed here is that without endings, you never get to experience new beginnings (and then new "middles"). If you refuse to embrace the endings in life, you're seated in the discomfort and awkwardness of an ending waiting to happen - and all the while, new life and growth awaits you just around the bend.

Therefore, my focus today will be anticipation of what beginnings lie ahead, whether it be next week, next month, or next year. I'd much rather spend my day in that frame of mind than lamenting what is out of my control. So today, God, I am am grateful to You for the endings.

3 comments:

  1. Well I sure needed to hear that today! Thanks for sharing your heart, and in doing so - ministering to me and others as well..

    Janelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Sheryl what a great way to look at things! I never really thought about it like that, that with endings come new beginnings and therefore new 'middles'. I'm praying for your 'ending' and new beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey sweet girl! I was so happy to find your blog again (I forgot to bookmark it the first time!!!!) How are you? Did you come back to big "A" for Thanksgiving?

    ReplyDelete