Sunday, November 9, 2008

Friends Along the Way

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Before you ask, yes, that is a real Emerson quote. :-) When I ran across this quote today, it instantly sparked a reaction. I was already feeling a deep sense of thankfulness for friends today, due mostly to hours spent looking several old photo albums. I relived so many precious memories in those pictures and was already missing those friends. I scanned the least embarrassing photos of interest and put them out on Facebook, and the comments began. It was so fun to share in those memories with my friends, and then to wonder together what has become of all those other friends we've lost touch with over time. I am so blessed by my friends.

I was already feeling that, but then when I read the quote, it immediately made me think about not just the fact that I am thankful for my friends, but WHY I am thankful for them. And one of the biggest things would have to be just the freedom to be real - even when being real involves looking a little foolish. Who else but friends and family will accept us for who we truly are, and love us even still?

So to all my friends, may you feel blessed today for the beauty that you bring into my life. For friendships that have drifted away, for those that have lasted, and for those that are new, I am immeasurably grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment