Friday, March 27, 2009

Fabulous Friday #1

It's FRIDAY!!! That means it's time for a spotlight on God's fabulous blessings!!

Today, I want to share my thankfulness for my Grandpa M, who has been walking in heaven for just under 15 years now. I miss him SO much. He and my Grandma lived in Tucson for as long as I can remember, so I did not get to see them very frequently as a kid; however, that made the visits I did have precious and memorable.

I loved so much about my Grandpa - he had a way of making a person feel like they were the only one in the room when he was talking to you. I remember him patiently watching while I climbed the lone tree in their yard (the cacti weren't really good climbing material), encouraging me along the way. I remember working with him in his vegetable garden in the backyard, and having fun when we came in making "vegetable people" from our pickings.

Most of all, though, I loved the way that he loved God. My Grandpa was a retired army chaplain, who served his country faithfully during World War II and after, attaining the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. Later, he worked as pastor and chaplain, faithfully serving God even years after his "retirement." I know he retired, but it seems that he was still doing something to serve God up until he became so sick.

My Grandpa was a quiet man, and so when he spoke, everybody listened because we knew what he had to say was important. I can't remember ever hearing a word of complaint coming from my Grandpa. I am sure it did, but I can't recall it, which to me is indicative of the gentle positive spirit with which he approached life. He was humble, loyal, and oh-so kind. How did this precious man manage to keep his head and spirit always lifted toward God, even when life was tough? Oh, how I wish that he'd lived long enough for me to truly appreciate and seek some of his words of wisdom for living a life fully devoted to God.

If I silence the world around me, especially at Christmas time, I can almost hear his voice reading the story of Christ's birth. It was tradition in the M house on Christmas morning to read that story together so our hearts would be in tune with the real celebration of the day. Of course as a child, I was impatient and wanted to get to the gifts, but as I grew older, I savored the moments of hearing him read the story. His voice always seemed to crack at certain points of the story, and in those moments he was so transparent you could almost read his mind spinning with gratitude for a Father who loved us enough to give us His beloved Son, and for a Son who loved us enough to step into human form. What I would give to sit beside him just one more time and hear him read those words.

My Grandpa M was a tremendous man of God and a loving, giving grandfather. I will miss him dearly until the time comes, but I am so blessed in the confidence that I will one day be reunited with my sweet Grandpa.

P.S. I can't finish this post without saying that each of my other 3 Grandparents has been just as instrumental in my life in various ways, and I am certain I will share about them at some point. It's just that I had my Grandpa M on my mind today, so I couldn't let the moment to share a glimpse of him with the world pass me by.

No comments:

Post a Comment